Monday, April 20, 2015

Quilts

I love quilts. I've posted on Empty Nest about my love of these wonderful creations a couple of times. I love the history behind them and the stories they tell. I enjoy looking at the designs and I greatly appreciate the art and effort behind the making of quilts.

I've never attempted to even try to learn the craft of quilting. Mostly because I don't have the time or patience. And then there's the whole thing about me not quite getting the design part. Not that I am not talented. Just not in this area.

I come from a long line of women (not sure about the men) who had quite a gift when it came to a needle and thread. But this ability completely skipped over me. Luckily, it found it's way back in one of my four lovely daughters.

When DD3 headed out to Texas a few years ago for grad school, she taught herself how to quilt. That's right. She taught herself. Amazing.

Her first one was for her cousin's new baby:

Baby quilt when it was in progress. 
Then she made quilted wall hangings for her then boyfriend and one for her younger sister and I can't find those pictures anywhere.

She followed the wall hangings with this one for her oldest sister:



Which was followed by this one for me!

My Christmas quilt!

Here's a close up of the front and back of my Christmas quilt.
This past Christmas, she made one for her other older sister. She took some of her sister's t-shirts from college and made this one: 


Here are two who are also good with needle and thread checking out the handiwork. 
She also just finished one for her now husband of the Mario Brothers...well, one of them, I think it's Mario. But I don't have a picture of that one.

After receiving my Christmas quilt, I mentioned that I would love to have one for each season. She's working on my spring quilt now.

Don't you love it when your kids pick up on hints or things you say as a joke and they know you'd really like it? Ha!

The spring quilt will have some of my grandmother's handkerchiefs in it since Grandmother was a spring person. The squares will be reflective of her love for spring. And, the daughter who makes these glorious quilts? She's named after my grandmother. See how the stories can be woven into the pattern, the fabric, the design...the motivation?

I love quilts. Even if the talent skipped me. It's still in the family, and that's good enough.

This is Day 17 of the A-Z Challenge!








10 comments:

  1. Some of my best memories were formed around a quilt stand. My grandmother quilted and when I was very young I was allowed to sit with the ladies as they came over and worked on quilts. Once I was deemed old enough I gladly joined the group after school and on rainy weekend days. I always have a few in process just to keep the skill alive. I'm so glad that your daughter has picked up the craft and is gifting you and your family with wonderful memories as well as quilts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My quilting daughter used to sit on my mother's lap when she sewed anything and everything, including quilts. I think that's why she loves it so much! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Excellent Q word!
    Very nice quilts. I know nearly nothing about them except they are warm!

    --
    Tim Brannan, The Other Side Blog
    2015 A to Z of Vampires
    http://theotherside.timsbrannan.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The history is quite interesting. And the beauty is something to behold!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! My husbands late grandmother was a quilter, as is my mother. It seems to have skipped me, lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. My sister-in-law sews in photos (somehow printed on material) and gives them as gifts after family get-togethers. I have them all. Sweet post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That''s one of her future projects. We know someone who works for a company that makes the fabric you use for those quilts. I saw it first in the movie STEPMOM. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. I agree that quilts are amazing and can almost be alive with the love and memories that go into them. I have a friend who quilts, and am blessed to own a few quits, one that was made for me when I was born. A great "Q" Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also love quilts, there are some wonderful ones around

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, friends! Please spew forth some wisdom for me. I'm quite certain I need it!