Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Math

It was, without a doubt, the worst subject in school for me. I hated it. It was hard and it required me to sit still and think. I was not a sit still kind of kid. I enjoyed/appreciated and was good at English (I was the Queen of diagramming sentences) and history (I still love it and my love of history was part of the reason I ended up living in an historic city).


But math? It gave me a headache then. It gives me a headache now. The difference? Now, I almost get the logic behind it. And that's quite scary. And confusing. Thus, the headache.


Whenever a student in my school says that he/she hates math, I tell them to think of math as a mystery to solve. They are the detective and the problem is the mystery. It's amazing that a statement so simple makes such a difference in the effort they will put forth.


I don't teach math, and that's a VERY good thing. I teach computers. To elementary students. I teach them how to use computers and computer programs and I also teach coding.


Haha.


We will be branching out into robotics this summer.

stupid

I have no idea what made me thing THAT would be a good idea.

https://www.pinterest.com/dollys1954/i-hate-math/

Anyway, one of my addictions is, Ted Talks. Check this one out. Yes, you'll probably have to read subtitles. I did. But, trust me, it's way easier than working out a math problem.

Enjoy!




This is Day 13 of the A-Z Challenge!

7 comments:

  1. I l oveeeeeeeeeeee Ted Talks, I use them a lot for my classes/course loads. I am a student who hates!!!!! math!!!!! (Wow, look at all those exclamations points, lol)--I have a disability in math and the worse thing anyone could say to me is, "Your just not trying!" Reallyyyyyyyyyyyy....is my reply. I have to retake a Math class that I got a D in last semester, as a D is not passing! Imagine that, not passing! ANYWAYS---great post, thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they the best?! Yeah, math has never been my strength, but I have come to understand it more and more. The logic is quite appealing. And perplexing. LOL

      Delete
  2. This was absolutely HILARIOUS. The next time I have to do a complicated math problem, I'll answer purple.

    Good luck with the A to Z Challenge!
    A to Z Co-Host S. L. Hennessy
    http://pensuasion.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally enjoy math and I enjoyed your post.
    "...computer programs and I also teach coding" - That would involve the mathematical field of logic. If then else, am I wrong? Also depending on the type of programming maybe some Boolean operations and modulo arithmetic. Of course, you didn't say you loved teaching programming.
    TED talks are one of the gems of the internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't but, I should have. I absolute LOVE teaching programming! Almost to the point that I am considering taking a couple of courses myself. And yes, TED talks are the BEST! Thanks!

      Delete
  4. In school I was reasonably good at Math, but now have to say, not so much, thank goodness for calculators, also now in school children are often allowed to use a calculator couldn't do that when I was in school

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, friends! Please spew forth some wisdom for me. I'm quite certain I need it!