Sunday, November 6, 2016

Information Overload

It's day 6 of NaBloPoMo. I'll start it with a question: 

Do y'all think future generations will be hit with information overload as more and more people tell their story since we now have blogs instead of a few family stories handed down and told by their elders?

I suppose they will be hit with an overload of information but not simply by reading someone's blog. Reading family stories and history, to me, is fascinating. I loved hearing stories when I was growing up and, now that my grandparents are gone, I wish they had written these tales down so that I could access them anytime I wanted to. The information overload is going to have more to do with the gazillions of information that is available on the web in general. The access is bad enough but discerning truth from fiction is where the overload begins to show it's effect. I think that when bloggers tell their family stories, they are sharing something important and meaningful to those within said family. That won't cause overload at all.

As far as having a handful of family stories vs having entire blogs to read, I think that is a good thing. I would love to have blogs to read that were written by my great grandparents and grandparents as well as aunts and uncles- even the crazy ones. I imagine that would be quite entertaining! As it is now, my children and grandchildren and other family members will only have my blog to read. Unless other family members step up and start writing, that's going to be rather slim pickin' as they say. Although, that's got to better than nothing.

Will they get the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth? No. I have my secrets and I plan on keeping them as long as possible. Best case- I take them to my grave. There are only two but I don't want them out. It's not always necessary to blurt out truths that may cause others to be upset or hurt. As long as I am the only one hurt, that's fine. Others who may want a truth out can get over it. 

So, no, I don't think having access to and going through all the available family tales will cause an information overload. I think people will be thrilled that the information is out there for their family to read.

What do y'all think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome, friends! Please spew forth some wisdom for me. I'm quite certain I need it!