Tuesday, November 1, 2016

5 Ways to Uplift a Bad Mental Health Day

In an effort to give the Grits a boost, I've decided to participate in the November NaBloPoMo which means I've committed to post every day for the next 30 days. We'll see how that goes since I'm also posting on Empty Nest. Ha!

Today's prompt (yes, they give you prompts in case you can't come up with a topic for 30 days IN A ROW INCLUDING WEEKENDS AND THANKSGIVING) is: When you're having a bad day with your mental health, what do you do to hep yourself?

That all depends on the level of the bad and whether or not I got ahead of it. If I am not lucky enough to get ahead of it, I have to let it run its course which usually involves a good bit of sadness. And, admittedly, a pity party or five.

The level of bad comes into play when I do get ahead of it. Which is most of the time as I try to remember that pity parties are a complete waste of time and effort. So, depending on the level of bad, here are 5 things I do to help myself with my mental health:

  • Music. Loud and with earbuds. The genre depends on the level of the bad. 
  • Time-out. Yes, giving myself a time-out works wonders and gives me time to regroup. How? Either going to my room for quiet or outside on the deck to deep breathe and listen to nature. It really does help. To be honest with y'all, if I could be by myself all the time with the exception of holidays and special family times, I'm pretty sure I'd never have a bad mental health day again, EVER. 
  • Text a friend. If I need a way out with a laugh, I have a friend who is perfect for that. And no explanations are ever needed. We all need a friend like this. 
  • Taking the dog for a walk. Walking will take my mind off having a bad mental health day. Because I concentrate on how I don't want to walk. Ha!
  • Watching television. But it has to be a sitcom. Unless my mental health day is sad instead of bad. Then it needs to be a tearjerker movie. 
And there you have my first day. 

What do y'all do to help yourself over a bad mental health day?

6 comments:

  1. Loud music always makes me feel good no ear buds though for me ear buds are things that dull the sound for you they maybe something different though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it loud too. The ear buds I'm talking about don't dull the sound. They're the 21st century version of head phones. LOL

      Delete
  2. Sometimes I have to just give in to the depression. The most important part is to not feel any guilt after taking a day off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have those days as well. Luckily, I don't have the guilt. It's easier to do away with the guilt when you get to be my age. LOL

      Delete
  3. Do Add some physical work out to this list too. great pointers though, texting is what I do and then sometimes do get a bad headache due to too much texting
    #NaBloPoMo
    Menaka Bharathi has recently published http://simpleindianmom.in/gratitude-list-carve-childs-future-list/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's covered under taking the dog for a walk. It's not a stroll with him. LOL Thanks!

      Delete

Welcome, friends! Please spew forth some wisdom for me. I'm quite certain I need it!