Thursday, September 11, 2014

Supper's Ready!

One thing we did when Mother called us to supper was go straight inside, wash our hands and sit down to eat. We didn't meander and saunter in when it suited US. We moved it mister and moved it speedy quick. I was always told that, when someone goes through the trouble of preparing a meal for you, you go-WHEN THEY CALL YOU IN- and enjoy the meal together. It was that way at my grandparents'--both sides-- houses and in my own home. If we didn't come in when Mother called, we might have had a discussion from Daddy. IF you know what I mean.

Some people are not raised that way, apparently.

I know someone who has, as long as I've know them, not gone to the table when a meal is ready. I'm pretty sure this man gets it from his father whom I watched on numerous occasions sit and finish reading the paper or watching something on television before getting up and walking, slowly, to the table to eat.

I find that arrogant. And rude. AND, I believe this attitude filters through to other areas of life as well. I'm not sure I believe people are this way in just one situation. But that is food for thought...see what I did there? LOL

I understand if a person can't stop something at that very moment. Like taking a shower. But then, why would you wait until just before supper to take that shower? Why not do it earlier so you can eat when the meal is served? With these men, I think it's a control issue.

Regardless, I find it disrespectful.

So, what has happened is that people have stopped calling this man in for supper, even on special occasions. Why bother? When you know that the person won't come when it's ready, why should you waste your time letting them know it's ready?

This has resulted in missed birthday meals - even his own, until everyone else has finished. None of his family makes the effort to let him know because he has spent years letting his family know that he won't be coming as soon as it's ready. He'll be coming to the table as soon as HE is ready.

I will always see this as a simple matter of respect. A person either has it, or they don't. But, if they're going to eat at my house, they will be eating alone if they don't possess it.

What do y'all think about this?

5 comments:

  1. You hit the nail square on the head. It's a control issue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought so. Coupled with a rude issue. Ha! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep..we have a rule here, when you get called and don't come right away, you don't eat. Period. Not that has ever happened, my son and husband are very respectful. Oh..now having the tv on during dinner/supper..that is a pet peeve of mine, wink. Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have done something like that. Though I doubt it would have made much of a difference. It's easier on the digestion if he doesn't make it anyway. LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh, I can truly sympathize with you on this matter! I have one of those misters who live at my house too. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome, friends! Please spew forth some wisdom for me. I'm quite certain I need it!