Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Controlling the Pain

Fibromyalgia causes pain. Some days more than others. But always, there is some level of pain. Most days, there is also other annoyances who come along with the pain: low energy level, brain fog, total lack of motivation..the list goes on. There are days when I wonder WTH is wrong with me and then I remember, it's fibromyalgia. I've tried turning that blind eye and deaf ear to it, but it seems to have gotten worse over the years. I am not a taker of meds so I refuse to go that route. So, what do I do? I have found a few things that help calm the flares and keep the pain, sometimes, in check.

Ten things I do to help keep fibromyalgia in check:
  1. No processed foods. If I slide back into some processed foods from time to time, my body lets me know almost immediately. The effects on the fibromyalgia mean increased pain, increased brain fog, painful stomach cramping...I convinced that eating processed foods contributes to fibromyalgia flare-ups. Makes you wonder why I ever pick up anything processed, doesn't it? Part of the reason is that I am a southern gal and I do love certain foods- macaroni and cheese, biscuits, grits (smooth and creamy, of course), etc. I can make these foods myself and not feel quite as bad but, they're not the best for helping reduce the effects of fibromyalgia.  
  2. No sugar. These days, I also notice a difference immediately after ingesting sugar. There is no pick-me-up feeling when sugar is involved. Nope. It's a downer for sure. I'm always left with less energy than I had before I ate anything sugary. Except fruit or smoothies. And I feel that this has to do with the type of sugar but I'm not a chemist or doctor or nutritionist so...
  3. Exercise. Taking oxygen in while performing some sort of cardio exercise has a huge impact on my fibromyalgia. It's difficult while I'm working out, no matter what the exercise is, but it feels good afterward. And for a long time afterward. Unless the feet act up, then it's not so good. 
  4. Yoga. It amazes me how a practice that is so difficult for me makes such a tremendous difference in how I feel. The gentle stretching and deep breathing have the most beneficial results of anything I've tried yet. 
  5. Weight loss. The fewer pounds I have to lug around every day, the better. I've noticed this being true on those few occasions where I actually lost weight and felt the difference. Not that this fact motivates me to keep the weight off or take it off again and again, though you'd think it would. Think of it like this: it's not that easy to carry around extra pounds under 'normal' circumstances. It makes your feet, knees and hips ache because of the pounding of merely walking around. It works your heart harder than it needs to work and makes you uncomfortable. It's unhealthy. Now, combine that with the aches and stresses of fibromyalgia. Yikes! My problem here is an addictive personality. Not to alcohol or drugs. To food. I have used food as my source of comfort for so long I don't even know if I can get out of the cycle. But one thing about me is that I do not give up hope. So, I keep trying.    
  6. Ignore as much stress and negative people as possible. Stress causes tension in my entire body and, when you couple that with fibromyalgia, the results can be nearly debilitating. Stress rips through our bodies causing all sorts of physical and medical problems. If you have fibromyalgia, stress hits those tender points like a mack truck. Negative people drain you of your energy. You're already low on energy with fibromyalgia. Being around negative people can be just what it takes to send you into a depression. Getting rid of those people is helpful. I'm still figuring out what to do when you are stuck with them.  
  7. Organic everything from food to laundry detergent. When you have extreme (and that may be an understatement in my case) sensitivities to all things affecting your five senses, you cannot use or be around chemicals. If I use a shampoo with chemicals, for example, my head starts itching, every part of my body that it touches turns red (like hives) and I get a headache. My nose burns and my eyes water. And that's just shampoo. This only started happening in the last seven or so years. 
  8. Meditation. This helps me focus and feel like my mind is clearer. It also helps with the achiness. It also helps with the negative people and the stress. I use it when I need it.
  9. Laughter. I know. It sounds crazy but when I'm surrounded with the right cast of characters, laughter ensues taking my focus to a much happier place. I've been around people who have kept me laughing so hard that the only reason I notice pain is because of the laughing.
  10. Develop a can-do attitude. I'm a stubborn individual. When I make up my mind, that's it. And I made up my mind a long time ago that fibromyalgia would not get me down. It's not going to make me feel sorry for myself or seek sympathy. It's not going to rob me of having fun and doing things I enjoy doing. I just keep going. Like that silly Energizer bunny. Ha!   
The nice thing about not having to go to school anymore, besides taking care of Baby M, is that I have time to do all the things I need to do to feel better. Even though, some days, it doesn't matter a flip what you do the discomfort, low energy, brain fog, depression, etc. will present itself and stick around as long as it wants to. And that could be for a few hours, a day, a week, months...it just depends. 

Here's the best explanation I've found describing what fibromyalgia feels like:

Wow. This is one of the most accurate things I have ever read to describe fibromyalgia. But you need add in the fact that your short term memory gets dumped more often than the trash gets taken out.:


Doesn't sound like fun, does it? You're right. It isn't. But you learn to deal and do your best. Those who suffer from fibromyalgia are not cry-babies (although you might find us crying by ourselves from the frustration of it all.) We are well aware there are others out there who suffer from far worse than we do. That doesn't mean we don't suffer. So, before calling someone lazy, or stupid, or before reminding them how good they have it, think. We really have no idea what other people are going through in their lives. It's probably a good idea to just be kind.

What are some things y'all do to deal with fibromyaglia? Chronic pain? Depression? Low energy? Brain fog?  


12 comments:

  1. Great post Pam. That description nailed it. Now that I've been diagnosed with RA (early stages) along with FM, my hands both me quite a bit. Holding a book for a long period makes my fingers and hand joints hurt. So does holding a steering wheel for too long. I have to keep alternating now my hands into different positions when I drive long. God help me come my 1100 mile drive in August (each way)! Also my feet have gotten so much worse now with nerve pain that my rheumy is making me go see a neurologist to see if I may have permament nerve damage...FUN IS! But, I plug along everyday as you do. I will not let it get me. Hugs!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got to go see about this too. I'm pretty sure that I have osteoarthritis but you never know for sure until you go to the dang doctor. I'm trying to figure out our trip to Nashville tomorrow. Being in the car for long periods is very uncomfortable. I'm thinking we'll stop every two hours and walk a bit. My knees give me a fit. And my hips. And my hands. Shoot, is there a part that doesn't? LOL

      Delete
  2. Sounds just awful. I really don't know how you can cope. Just having my stupid knees hurting all the time is almost more than I can take sometimes. I'm so sorry for anyone who suffers from this horrid disease. Glad you have found some things that help. And yes...losing weight would also help my knees, but have I done it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Losing weight would help with everything but I haven't done it either. Food just tastes too good. LOL

      Delete
  3. I share this dreadful condition, too, along with Rumatoid Arthritis. Because of the RA, I have to go the "medicine route" to be able to function, but I also use several of your "tricks" for Fibromyalgia, too. Some days, nothing helps--even medication. I definitely "feel" your pain. Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now, how did I not know you have fibromyalgia? You're right, some days nothing helps. I'm thinking I have osteoarthritis but I guess I won't know for sure until I get it checked. Arthritis runs in my family. On both sides. UGH.

      Delete
  4. Having a can do attitude is a must we can't give into the pain and whatever other problems our health decide to throw at us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great post Pam and SO true - as someone who lives with fibro I appreciated both your tips AND your humor in the midst of pain!

    Congrats for being our Friend Of The Week at Friendship Friday at Create WIth Joy. I hope you have an amazing week! :-)

    P.S. Would LOVE to see puppy photos over at Wordless Wednesday - if you share be sure to leave a comment with post number so I can stop on by! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited to be Friend of the Week! There are days when I think I'll never laugh again with this fibro but I keep laughing anyway. Taking care of the little one is really a challenge but so far, so good. :) Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog from Create with Joy. Congratulations on being picked. I also have fibromyalgia On days when I can't do much more than lie on the couch I like to close my eyes and listen to inspiring music or podcasts. I also like to watch comedy movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you hopped over! Thank you, I was so excited about being the Friend of the Week! Music is helpful especially on those days. And watching comedies is a fantastic idea! Laughter can be the best medicine sometimes. :)

      Delete

Welcome, friends! Please spew forth some wisdom for me. I'm quite certain I need it!