Monday, July 11, 2016

Uber Doober Do

The kids have using Uber for years and have liked it just fine. I'd never tried it until our trip to Nashville. Now, I'm a fan!

When in Nashville, TN- UBER is the way to get around. I'm one of those people who get quite nervous when driving in unfamiliar areas. When you couple that fear with a big city with more people than you thought could ever be in one place at one time, Uber is your friend. Your BESTIE.

Before Nashville, I was an Uber virgin. Now? I want to Uber everywhere. I mean it! It was a great experience. I've used taxi services before but I've found the drivers to be hell on wheels and not the most personable. Not to mention EXPENSIVE. Uber is different-

  • The vehicles are much nicer than cabs. 
  • The drivers are personable but not pushy. 
  • If you want to talk, they will. If you don't, they won't bother you. 
  • The cost is less than getting a taxi.

I do not care for driving around downtown Charleston either. Mount Pleasant (or Mount Plastic as it is beginning to be called because of all the fake, uber (no pun intended, but nice when it works out) rich folks moving in around here) and now that won't matter. When we have people visiting, I shall get an Uber to take us and deliver us home all without the stress of the traffic, the walking tourists who, apparently, have no idea how to cross a street, and finding a parking spot which takes longer than the time it takes to give your touristy friends a walking tour of the Battery, Rainbow Row, the Market, and grab lunch at Fleet Landing. 

Uber is also great for those folks who like to drink and are smart enough to NOT drive after imbibing. (Seriously, those of you who are not smart enough to NOT drive after drinking, get a brain.) Why in the world would anyone endanger the lives of others instead of taking an affordable alternate mode of transportation? It's beyond me. But, that's not really the point of this post. It's more of a soapbox. Ha!

Yes, we have bus service here. But, especially in this heat, I much prefer being dropped off in my driveway instead of half a mile or more from the neighborhood. Plus, the buses run on their schedule, not mine. And, they don't run at night. 

A couple of family members have told me there is a new service (newish here, anyway) called Lyft. I haven't tried them out and I really don't know whether I will or not. I mean, Uber is fine and, until it isn't, I'll just Uber when I don't care to drive in traffic or stress over parking. And, frankly, I love saying, 'Uber.' 

  • I'm going to Uber down there. 
  • I'm going to get an Uber. 
  • Let's Uber-it! 
  • Get an Uber!

What are your experiences with paid rides?




6 comments:

  1. I was unfamiliar with Uber, until now. We don't have anything like that in our little town, but it sounds nice.
    Kathy (Reflections)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's perfect in a big city you know nothing about. And it keeps the locals from calling you a touron. LOL

      Delete
  2. Haven't taken a taxi or anything like it in decades, just saying

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't either until we went to Nashville. And I'm glad we tried Uber. It was perfect!

      Delete

Welcome, friends! Please spew forth some wisdom for me. I'm quite certain I need it!